Whitby, Ontario – Durham Region will host the 2023 Ontario Parasport Games, building on the success and legacy of hosting these Games in 2019, and continuing growth of our inclusive, accessible, and adaptive sport opportunities.
The 2023 Durham Region Ontario Parasport Games will attract approximately 550 participants and result in an anticipated local economic impact of between $500,000 and $1 million. There will be 11 sport competitions at eight venues, along with an opening ceremony, and two dinners for participants.
Sport Durham, the Region of Durham’s sport tourism program, will work closely with the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries and community volunteers forming the Games Organizing Committee. This team will deliver another successful and memorable event for visiting participants, as well as community partners and volunteers.
Durham Region hosted the Ontario Parasport Games in 2019—garnering around $678,000 in local economic impact; and a legacy fund of $112,000 that is being used to increase adaptive sport opportunities and participation in Durham. The 2019 Games were recognized with several national and provincial awards.
The Region has previously hosted four other Ontario Games, including the Ontario Summer Games in 2000; the Ontario 55+ Summer Games in 2010; and the Ontario Parasport Games in 1979.
Durham Region is a premier sport tourism destination, home to some of the Greater Toronto Area’s (GTA) best and busiest sporting complexes and venues. A sports-minded, active community, the region has an impressive resumé of hosting sport events, from large international events to numerous community-based sport tournaments.
“I am delighted that Durham Region will have another opportunity to host the Ontario Parasport Games in 2023. Durham is one of Ontario’s best destinations for accessible sport, and our government is proud to provide $135,000 to support the Games, which will boost the local economy, attract visitors from across the province, engage volunteers, develop sport and recreation locally, and leave a lasting legacy in the community.”
– The Honourable Lisa MacLeod, Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries
“Durham Region is honoured to be hosting the Ontario Parasport Games for a second time. It’s a reflection of our commitment to accessibility and inclusion—a community working together to find valuable solutions that produce positive impacts. Collectively building on the best place to call home.”
– John Henry, Regional Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Region of Durham
“The local economic impact of having Durham Region host the 2023 Parasport Games will increase adaptive sports opportunities and participation at the local level. This opportunity will make Pickering-Uxbridge and Durham Region a hub for inclusive, accessible, and adaptive sports.”
– The Honourable Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance and MPP for Pickering-Uxbridge
“It’s wonderful to host the Ontario Parasport Games once again in Durham Region. With its unique facilities and enthusiastic volunteers, the Durham Region is the perfect place for this event.”
– The Honourable David Piccini, Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks and MPP for Northumberland-Peterborough South
“Our Government’s investment in sport is driven by a commitment to support local communities, and help them grow and prosper through events like the Ontario Parasport Games. Multi-sport events of this nature unite Durham communities through healthy, active living and provide new opportunities for our coaches, volunteers, officials and athletes. The Region of Durham is home to a diverse range of athletes with different backgrounds and skillsets, and I look forward to supporting them.”
– Lorne Coe, MPP for Whitby and Chief Government Whip
“I know our community will rally around this exciting opportunity to build on our experience hosting the 2019 Ontario Parasport Games and grow our legacy initiatives to increase the number of opportunities and participants enjoying the benefits of adaptive sport.”
– Don Terry, Co-Chair, 2023 Durham Region Ontario Parasport Games
“Durham Region boasts a history of accessibility and inclusion with high performance venues and experienced, capable volunteers making it a fantastic community to successfully host these Games.”
– Mike Frogley, Co-Chair, 2023 Durham Region Ontario Parasport Games
- Durham Region is—simply—more. Located on the eastern side of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA), Durham is a region with momentum. Offering a competitive advantage like no other, Durham is a community where talented, smart and ambitious people—known for their innovation, creativity, skills and education—bring access to world markets, insights, invention and traditions. A place where an innovative ecosystem helps propel new ideas forward. Where ingenuity and industry help tackle global challenges. Visit durham.ca to learn more about one of Canada’s fastest growing communities.
– 30 –