The Town of Ajax has a rebate program for donations to municipal council candidates. Similar to tax credits for political contributions at the federal and provincial levels, the Town of Ajax provides a 75% rebate to all residents who contribute to any registered candidate. This rebate applies to donations up to $300.00. Contributions above that amount do not qualify for a rebate.
What is the rationale for this programme?
- Before establishing municipal-level rebates, many candidates accepted donations from the development industry. The development industry had significant private incentives to contribute to prospective councillors who would, of course, be voting on planning applications.
- The rebate programme encourages ordinary citizens and taxpayers to contribute to municipal political campaigns and has primarily eliminated developer money from influencing essential planning decisions.
- Rebates are available to supporters of all candidates in Ajax.
- Rebates encourage participation in the democratic process, which benefits us all, particularly at the municipal level, where most of our everyday services are delivered.
- The most this programme has cost in an election year is $16,000, which would average $4000.00/year.
You can donate a:
- A minimum contribution of $20.00 is required to be eligible for a rebate.
- The rebate amount shall be 75% of the donation, up to a maximum of $187.50
To be eligible for a rebate:
- You must be a qualified elector in Ajax:
- Canadian Citizen,
- 18 years and over,
- Ajax resident,
- Owner of a tenant of land.
Rebate forms can be obtained directly from our office.